Our Next Presentation: Tale Of Tales
THE CRAMPHORN THEATRE, CHELMSFORD – Thursday 4th May @ 8PM
Inspired by the seventeenth-century Neapolitan fairytales of Giambattista Basile and drawing from a madly varied palette of influences, Gommorah director Garrone’s English language debut is a gorgeously grotesque triptych of fables, deliriously inventive and shot through with an outrageous and twisted beauty. Toby Jones turns in a wondrous performance in the second tale, as a king whose pet flea (yes, flea!) just grows and grows, but not before another monarch must consume the heart of a sea monster to ensure fertility.. (Read more…)
Our last presentation ‘Embrace of the Serpent’
In a change to our scheduled film, we presented the acclaimed docu-drama, “Embrace of the Serpent”. As it only became apparent that the publicised film, “Tangerines”, would not be available on the afternoon of the screening, there was little opportunity to notify people before the event. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Although there were only 13 response slips returned after the showing of this film, the feedback we received was quite positive. The breakdown from these slips were as follows:
- ‘Excellent’: 5 votes
- ‘Very Good’: 4 vote
- ‘Good’: 4 votes
- ‘Satisfactory’: 0 votes
- ‘Poor’: 0 vote
If you want to add further comments on this film, you are welcome to do so by joining in on our “Embrace of the Serpent” discussion forum.
Film Selection for 2017-18
The selection committee met on Tuesday 11th April to decide on the films for next season. For anyone not aware, this will be our 30th Season. The films selected were as follows:
- A Man Called Ove (Sweden, 2015) – Comedy, Dir: Hannes Holm
- Toni Erdmann (Germany, 2016) – Comedy, Dir: Maren Ade
- After The Storm (Japan, 2016) – Drama, Dir: Hirokazu Koreeda
- Paterson (USA, 2016) Comedy, Drama, Dir: Jim Jarmusch
- Letters From Baghdad (USA, 2016) – Documentary, Dir: Sabine Krayenbühl, Zeva Oelbaum
- Julieta (Spain, 2016) – Drama, Dir: Pedro Almodóvar
- Starless Dreams (Iran, 2016) – Documentary, Dir: Mehrdad Oskouei
- Elle (France, 2016) – Crime Thriller, Dir: Paul Verhoeven
- Personal Shopper (France/Germany, 2016) – Mystery Thriller, Dir: Olivier Assayas
- Goodfellas (USA, 1990) – Crime drama, Dir: Martin Scorsese
- El Sur (Spain, 1983) – Romantic drama, Dir: Victor Erice
- Certain Women (USA, 2016) – Drama, Dir: Kelly Reichardt
- The Salesman (Iran, 2016) – Thriller, Dir: Asghar Farhadi
- Hunt For The Wilderpeople (New Zealand, 2016) – Comedy adventure, Dir: Taika Waititi
- The Student (Russia, 2016) – Drama, Dir: Kirill Serebrennikov
- Citizen Jane: Battle of the City (USA, 2016) – Documentary, Dir: Matt Tyrnauer
=1. After Love (France, 2016) – Drama, Dir: Joachim Lafosse
3. Graduation (Romania, 2016) – Crime drama, Dir: Cristian Mungiu
Membership for the 2016/17 season
As we have now reached the second half of the season, we are offering Half-Season Membership for £30.
Chelmsford Film Festival: 7-10 June 2017
This June sees the launch of the first Chelmsford Film Festival, a 4-day event showcasing current International Short Films, Music Videos and Documentaries. Tickets are now on sale from their website.
Your opinion counts
As well as filling in the Response Slips following the showing of each film, you can leave comments for any of the films we have shown via the Discussion page.
CFC on Twitter and Facebook
To receive regular, automatic notification of our films, why not follow us on either Twitter or Facebook. Both can be accessed via the side panel on the right.
See what Chelmsford Film Club is showing this season on the 2016/17 season page,